top of page

Adventurous Activity Permits / Training

Information on this page is for the purpose and intention to help adults who are wanting to apply for or renew their Scout Activity Permit.

Most adventurous activities require a permit when being undertaken in Scouting. If included in the list in the link below, you would need to obtain a permit, even if you have the relevant National Governing Body (NGB) qualification.


List of adventurous activities as stated in POR.

A-Z list of activities with information about each activity.

Scout HQ information about the permit scheme.

Applicants guide information

We have two ways for you to apply for your AAP: 
Option 1 -
direct with the Scout Association - this will involve you having to look for your own assessor.


Option 2 - Hertfordshire Scouts ACC-A will assist you with your application and finding an assessor.

Types of Permits


Age Restrictions
Maximum age 17, no minimum age.

Taking part in the activity with
others who hold personal permits.

Doesn't allow:
Leading the activity for anyone
without a permit.

Useful for:
Allowing young people to progress
in an activity by practising
with their peers.



Age Restrictions
No maximum or minimum age.

Leading the activity for a group of young people while remaining with them.

Doesn't allow:
Remotely supervising an activity or working with multiple groups.

Useful for:

Introducing and training young people in an activity by working directly with them.


Age Restrictions
No maximum or minimum age.

Remotely supervising an activity for multiple groups.

Doesn't allow:
Approving groups to take part in the activity without remotely supervising them.

Useful for:

Developing young people by giving them opportunities for supervised responsibility. 

Further details of how these permits work for each activitiy can be found in the factsheet for the specific activity.

It should be recognised that a supervisory permit is a very high level permit that shouldn’t be given out lightly. It is designed for very experienced practitioners who have taken part in their activity in multiple locations and have seen and know how to deal with almost every eventuality.

When under 18s are granted permits they are not checked for the safeguarding elements, so when an under 18 turns 18 their permit expires until these safeguarding requirements are carried out. They can automatically get a new permit, once the safeguarding checks have been carried out, without needing a new technical competence assessment.

Permit Application Process

Do you want to apply for a permit?

Follow the instructions on here to help you apply for
Adventurous Activity Permit

Frequently Asked Questions

Scout Website Frequently Asked Questions

Joint Scout and Guides Activities

How long does it take to process a permit application?
Each permit application will be processed as quickly as possible. All Scouting assessors are volunteers, so should you need a permit by a fixed date / for an event please plan ahead with lots of time allowed. there is no commitment to complete an application within a fixed time scale. If you feel you have waited too long, contact your line Manager or the ACC-A and request an update on progress.

What is a log book?
A logbook is  a recorded of your activity experience. A logbook should provide a detailed record of your activity experience and demonstrate, at assessment or renewal, that the Scouts requirements have been fulfilled. It is an essential tool to help assessor advise you on specific further experience needed before assessment or re assessment.
An example of a thorough log book can be found HERE.
example template can be found HERE.

How can I do training?

Training can be completed in a number of ways.
1 - Join the training course waiting list for Hillwalking, Climbing or Paddlesports HERE
2 - County courses - click HERE to see training courses run by Hertfordshire County.

3 - Working with other existing permit holders.
4 - External training.

Useful information from National Governing Bodies:
Mountain Training information -
British Canoeing information -

For more information, Any questions & how to become an assessor?
Contact Colin Skuse (ACC-A).


bottom of page